Saturday, January 12, 2008

The poetry of Mrs. Clinton

Prose is a form of writing that lacks the formal rules and structure of poetry. It is natural, free flowing, and without convention. Unlike poetry, prose is neither constrained by the chains of its predecessors nor confined to rules that exist for reasons we can not explain or make sense of. Prose is prosaic, and though that may sound redundant, it means that prose represents something common, something everyday, something familiar.

So it seems to me that Hillary Clinton's allusion to Obama's campaign being "in poetry", is quite inaccurate. Barack Obama is nothing but prose. He speaks with a candor and verity that is what has lead droves of young people, like myself, to realize it's more important to have someone good than someone female, and that it's more important to have someone we can believe in than someone with a track history. Clinton's years of experience crafting her rhythm and meter, perfecting her stanzas and mastering her rhyme schemes do not impress me. Barack's prose has given me the audacity to have a little hope in a system of government that seems as inclined to serve my interests as the government of Bhutan. And for that I'm still unsure whether to thank him or curse him.

Full disclosure -- I have no specific area that I claim as my specialty. I'm no sports fanatic like Chris, nor am I a hip hop aficionado like XM. By virtue of being an american college student I know nothing about everything. But one thing I definitely do know is my genres. And Barack Obama is definitely prose.


In the words of my good buddies over at Busted Tees:


~Eri

Technorati Tags:


No comments: